New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > Cohen Programme Boards > Discussion on Cohen's Lifestyle programme

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 12:13
Doin it for the last time

My NYF Diary
Default Fridge life of prawns question...

Hi everyone...

I purchased some prawns the other day... delightful fresh ones, and well... I haven't been able to eat them as quick as I thought, and I don't want to waste them.

I read online that fresh prawns can be kept refrigerated for 3 days, and frozen for 6... is this correct?

So, I was wondering, I am up to day 3 with the prawns (on the top shelf and my fridge is very cold)... I guess I have about 2 serves left. Can I have one tonight, and freeze the other for tomorrow? (also I am pretty sure the fish shop I got them from is VERY fresh, they are renowned in my area).

I am a bit clueless with this stuff, and I don't want to go giving myself food poisoning...

Thank you in advance.

xMissy
♥ First 5 ♥ Under 100♥ In the 90's ♥ In the 80's ♥ 85 ♥ In the 70's ♥ become 'normal' ♥ Back to the 60ís ♥ GOAL

I'm MANGOIFICENT & WATERWISE ALWAYS!!! x ?x ?
Old 06-10-2009, 22:21
Feeling more at home

Default Re: Fridge life of prawns question...

Hi, My husband is a seafood snob and he says if the heads are starting to turn black or have any black at all....dont use them..they are on the turn...if they are still the same colour and have no strong odour they should be ok....the golden rule of seafood, if its suss, dont use it!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:12
I am here for good

My NYF Diary

The best way to keep prawns, squid, crays, and other seafood is to submerge them in water and freeze them. In the US we used to use the 1 quart waxed milk containers and would fill them up with the seafood & water. I've actually kept red snapper in the freezer for a year (encased in a block of ice) and when it was thawed it looked like the day it was caught without any discernable degradation of flavour. I done the same here in Singapore with prawns and the so expert aunties here cannot tell the difference once cooked. In the US, Maine lobsters (the real lobster - not spiney lobster (crays)) are frozen in plastic tubes of water and shipped all over the world.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:37
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Great advice from everybody.

For this time I would suggest cooking them and then eating them cold. I often buy them and keep my weight for the next couple of days but will then cook some for last meal and have in fridge and make a lovely salad to go with. Yummy!

Be careful about freezing seafood. My understanding is that almost all prawns sold in Australia have been frozen, as many of the boats freeze them as they are caught, so check that before you refreeze. At my seafood shop I could buy them frozen and then thaw at my own convenience.

Shanara
To live my life from a place of deepest love, reflecting this knowing in my outer world as well as my inner world. Living in integrity, with an open heart honouring my agreements with self and others.

Tags
fridge , life , prawn , prawns , question