New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Diary Boards > Completed Diaries > Completed Personal Diaries

Notices

Old 18-03-2007, 10:02
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

Wow :!: I cannot believe how easy this "lifestyle choice" is (don't like the word "diet" as even eating junk everyday is still considered a "diet").

I'm coming up to the start of week 8 and I'm fitting back into all my clothes. Jeans that were starting to cut into me are now loose and hang on my hips. It won't be long now until I have to start buying new clothes. (I'm going to try and hang off on that as long as possible - or at least until it is vitally necessary - ie clothes start falling off!! )

I must admit that I'm really impatient and as quickly as all this is happening I still wish it would happen faster. But the hours, days, weeks and months are all flying by so quickly, by the time I'll have had the chance to blink it will all be over and I'll be a sexy hot tomalie strutting my stuff in a size 8-10 :P

As I mentioned in another post I ummed and aahhed about doing this for probably 2-3 months. If I had just had the courage back then to ask for the help I would be about 4 weeks away from refeed and I'm guessing about 25 kgs lighter - BUT the way I see it I musn't have been ready to do it then as I am now. It's as much a state of mind as it is a state of body!!!!!

I find this to be the MOST incredibly easy way to lose weight. For me the food isn't too far a stretch from what I usually ate. I rarely ate bread, stayed away from potatoes, rice and pasta, tried to not eat anything that came highly processed out of a packet ie. chips, biscuits, cakes etc. and would only eat fresh, unprocessed, non frozen food. Which sucks cause I could never understand why I was so overweight when I always ate such healthy food.

I now understand that it is quantities of protein to veges. Obviously never had that balance right!! And the hormones. People for years were telling me I must have a problem with my thyroid. Had the tests done and seemed to be in perfect working order. My GP told me that it must just be genetic and that I am just naturally fat. pppfffftt to that!!

I just love getting on this forum and reading about all the amazing achievements of everybody. It gives me great encouragment to know that all of you are going through the same thing that I am. The ups and downs and the one constant - weight loss.

Wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who takes the time to read and respond, congratulate and encourage.

Have a good one

MiniMe
Old 20-03-2007, 09:06
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

It was my first day yesterday when I was totally unmotivated and really wanted to deviate from this. Was having a bad day at work and really couldn't have been bothered weighing and preparing everything. Wanted to just grab some lunch on the fly....

But I resolved and my willpower won out and ended up cooking some chicken and having with salad for lunch. I then ended up working back late so was about 7:30 by the time I got home and again really didn't want to weigh, measure and cook. But again I did - I had steak and a veges. But was seriously not in the mood.

I think this is where my biggest test of falling into old habits needs to be addressed. I could have easily have given in for the two meals and bought a take away or not bothered eating anything at all - perserverence will hopefully win out everytime and this will all be over soon. When times like the above happen I guess I just have to remind myself why I started this in the first place.

Fingers crossed today is a better day
Old 20-03-2007, 10:31
Goddess

Default MiniMe's Diary

You know, we ALL have days like that.

I've had times where I would love to have just sat down and had pasta with the kids instead of making my own lunch. Times where I so wanted a cup of tea that I could taste it. Times where I just wanted a bikkie...

But, I had to make a decision.

Did I want to be size 30 all my life?

Did I want to DIE and have my ex bring my children up?

Did I want them to have to use a forklift to move my corpse coz no-one could lift it?

The answer to all the above is, um, no.

At this time of my eating progression EVERYTHING that's not on the Atkins Sheet is POISON.

Look at it that way. It's POISON, coz, if you get too obese it'll killya.

There are good days and there are bad days, but hey, on the bad days you can look in the mirror and see just how good you're doing. Turns the bad days into good pretty Darned fast.

asy

Started: 4th July, 06 (MY independence day!) ... Finished: July 2, 2007 ... 88kg lost in 12 months
Don't annoy me... I just learned the Bat Bogey Hex...
Old 20-03-2007, 11:26
Forum Grease Monkey

My NYF Diary
Default MiniMe's Diary

Quote:
At this time of my eating progression EVERYTHING that's not on the Atkins Sheet is POISON.
Atkins ? Surely you meant Cohens ?
Old 20-03-2007, 19:51
Goddess

Default MiniMe's Diary

HAHAHA YEah, I DO mean Cohens...

I'd just read LF's post about buying the atkins book... Freudian slip.

Sorry.

I've done Atkins. I can attest to how 'well' it works, long term. lol

asy

Started: 4th July, 06 (MY independence day!) ... Finished: July 2, 2007 ... 88kg lost in 12 months
Old 20-03-2007, 21:05
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

Well today was just as bad as yesterday. Again didn't feel at all like preparing anything. Work is driving me to the point of distraction.... I wanted to pull my hair out by mid morning.

I'm not going to get into the finer details because I'm home now and can't bear thinking about it again until tomorrow..... All I will say is I NEED a holdiay!!

Anyway the good thing to come from this is probably now being able to recognise bad habit triggers. All I've been thinking about all day is the fund raising box of caramello koalas sitting on someones desk !! mmm rich gooey caramel. Geez I could go one of them right about now. I feel the need to indulge and treat myself and any other marketing ploy to get me to buy chocolate. I should know these tactics - I work in advertising

But Motivate, Activate, Simulate, Dedicate and Create.

I am strong and will not give in. I am strong and will NOT give in. Besides I have my weigh in this week - can't affect the results of that.

The other good thing is that 3 people today told me that I looked really nice. Was wearing red - not a colour I often wear and these people told me that it really suits me!! So that was nice to hear. One positive to come out of a day of frustration. I'll focus on that instead

Tomorrow is another day
Old 21-03-2007, 06:55
Feeling more at home

Default MiniMe's Diary

Good for you Minime.

I was like you last week and for just about 10 days I either deviated really badly, or just didn't follow cohen's 100 percent. I am so mad at myself for my weakness. So, my advice to you is DON'T DO IT!! Just remember how you'll hate yourself afterward and you'll extend your time on the weight loss journey. "just one time" can so easily turn into "just another one more time" and then you're screwed.

You're doing so well, Very proud of you and very jealous! Keep it up.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Old 21-03-2007, 22:38
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

Today was a better day. Most of the people that I have to deal with were out of the office at a conference so I was definitely less stressed about everything.

Mars or saturn must be in my star sign at the moment. They generally seem to fire things up for me!!

As for food... I'm happy to say that I didn't deviate. I've gotten through my first real struggle with this. I'm really pleased with myself that I didn't give in. As you said Ididit4me - I certainly would be feeling worse off than I do now. I know my patterns. I can now say that I fully recognise triggers.

This is what I really like about Cohen's. There is no room for that little voice in my head telling me that just this once won't hurt. I'm training it now to scream NO at me instead of it encouraging me.

It's also really encouraging to know that I'm not doing this alone. That all of you are going through or have been through this. I'm very independant and have always considered that I don't need help, support or encouragement. Obviously I do or I wouldn't be here in the first place.
Old 22-03-2007, 21:39
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

All good today. No stress. No cravings. Wasn't as tired as I've been feeling the last couple of days.

For brekkie I had asparagus with a poached egg, cracked black pepper and mayo. Followed by kiwi fruit. Lunch I had chicken with capsicum, mushroom and tomato and Dinner was eye fillet with mushroom, squash, zucchini and garlic. Water intake - 3l. Snacks Vita Weet and an apple.

No thoughts of chocolate. No wanting to deviate.

Life is good again!!!

I've also noticed a huge improvement in my skin, hair and nails. Softer, shinier and stronger. This program is so good in so many respects. I can't wait to see changes the next few months brings!!
Old 22-03-2007, 23:04
Goddess

Default MiniMe's Diary

My hair's gone thin.

I've never had thin hair in my life, always had a hugely thick shank of hair, now the whole lot is like what one third of a plait used to be.

It's very odd.

But it's very healthy

asy

Old 23-03-2007, 22:14
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

That is odd about your hair, Asy. Has it been falling out or is just thinner (like the rest of you??)

I'm finding mine to be much healthier. Strange??

Today was another good day! I don't know where those bad ones came from with those cravings for chocolate? I'm figuring that it's all pshycological and the fact that I was stressed and 'having a bad day' meant that I wanted to 'comfort' myself and that was associated with chocolate? I'm glad that I didn't give in to the temptation. I would've felt worse for doing so.

So all is back on track with me. Doing well with everything. My second month weightloss has slowed down from the first month. Just hope it stays steady for the next few. Still have a long way to go but time is flying. I can't believe that it's another week gone. My official weigh in was 5.4kg for the month.

Nothing exciting is happening on the work or social front. Up for a quiet weekend. Nice and relaxing. Might do some pampering....
Old 24-03-2007, 10:38
Part of the Furniture

Default MiniMe's Diary

minime you are going great guns, well done for recognizing and resisting life's temptations and habits. Keep up the great work.

Apparently, we lose our hair (according to my hairdresser who had a friend complete this program), because our body goes through such a shock with the diet change. It does recover he tells me afterwards.

Lauren
Old 24-03-2007, 13:03
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

oh no! about the hair falling out! I won't be happy if that happens. Although I do have heaps and heaps of it so I s'pose I can afford to lose some.....

Whatever happens to get me slim, trim, taught and terrific I guess I can deal with it...

You know I've always found what we do with our bodies quite fascintating. I know I've certainly abused mine over the years. And not just wth food. I have over eaten, over drunken?, over smoked, over partied, over sexed, over exercised, over worked, and all of it over done to the extremes!!!!

I agree with the way someone put it in an entry somewhere (sorry I can't remember who you are) but I've always been of the mind set of 'I don't' instead of 'I can't'. I can't is such a negative connotation but I don't is much more of a positive spin.

I can easily say to people that offer stuff I can't have with 'thank you but I don't eat that, drink that, smoke that, do that anymore etc etc'!!!!!! And I find people tend to accept that a lot more easily than I can't. With I can't always come 'Why not' and then generally followed by 'Of course you can - just this once won't hurt'

I also find it amusing when you sit down and start anylising things as to how we all believe that we deserve to 'treat' ourselves with junk food! I can remember as a child going to McDonalds was a once in a blue moon 'treat'. Junk food and take aways have now become a once, twice, or more a week, convenient breakfast/lunch/dinner option.

When and how did life become so hectic and accepted that we can't manage to prepare our own food. For all our busy lives we are certainly lazy when it comes to looking after our health.

Has anyone ever walked into these fast food restaurants (instead of the drive thru) and actually smelt them. I find it to be the most nausiating smell.

How do we justify a 'treat or indulgence' as a daily thing. You look at any sweet, chocolaty desert and it is all marketed to indulge or treat yourself. Fast food is marketed on the convenience - don't have time to cook then pick the family up some takeaway on the way home. No cooking, no dishes put the rubbish in the bin - it's all too easy!! But the long term harm that we are doing to ourselves far outweigh the quick fix when we're feeling down or can't be bothered cooking and washing up.

It makes me angry. But then maybe I'm just jaded after working in the advertising/marketing industry for too long. And looking around and seeing what this convenience is really doing to ourselves.

Sorry didn't mean to turn this entry into a rant.... (Has been a bad couple of weeks at work!!!)

MiniMe
Old 24-03-2007, 14:28
Part of the Mod Team

Default MiniMe's Diary

Great post minime!

I agree regarding the 'treat' thing. Something special is not an everyday occurrence, and once it becomes that it becomes mundane.

As a child, a 'treat' was really that - a special treat. Mum used to buy one chocolate frog for each of us, and keep them in a little bag. We knew that it was her choice when, and if, to hand these treats around.

We could smell the chocolate and the excitement at the thought of the treat was wonderful, almost as good as the chocolate itself.

To me, a daily treat is the excellent quality food we are able to eat at very modest cost, here in Australia. And the hot and cold running water and the indoor loo. Our whole quality of life is a treat and something which I never take for granted.

Regarding the use of 'power' words:

My best word is 'choose'... I choose to do this or I choose to do that.

I choose not to use the words 'don't' or 'can't' as this implies rules or restrictions, bowing to a higher authority, and taking responsibility for ourselves means we choose to do or not do something, not just because a third party or higher authority makes some rule.

We are our own highest authority. We decide for ourselves, and take responsibility for those decisions.

I chose to be obese. I chose not to make change in my life. I chose to let things drift. Then one day, I made a different choice and a different decision, and I chose to find a program which would assist me in returning to a healthy weight and a nice body.

'Assist me' is the operative phrase. Cohen's program assisted me to enact my decision. I chose to abide by the program and I achieved the result.

Anything other than that is abdicating the responsibility which I have towards myself.

Now, I choose to be slim. I choose every single mouthful which I eat, and all other things which involve me and my life - the hours of work, my general behaviour, the obligations and indulgences

And it is this ability to exercise choice which is the most empowering thing of all.

You are going great guns, never mind the hair, it will grow back, better than ever and it will be new hair for a new you.

Cheers

Kristine

Lost 28 kilos in 2006, 15 kilos twice since then, 25 kilos in 2017 and 12 kilos in 2019. 2020 was a struggle so back to lose 10 kilo in 2021. Looking Forward To It!
Old 24-03-2007, 15:28
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

Thanks Kristine!! Choose is definitely a better way of putting it than Don't. For me that is what I meant when I said that don't puts a more positive spin on things.

Being told can't - my immediate response is 'I can and I will' (always had a rebellious streak) 'Don't' on the other hand means to me that I have thought about it and I have decided not to do it. The responsibility of self!!

I also really like your idea of 'assist me'. Cohens is exactly that. I have been given a program that I know will assist me to lose weight. I know that it will give me weight loss. I know it will give me rapid weight loss. I know that it is up to me to choose to do it. I also know what it is that I have to do to achieve these results. What it is that I'm putting into my body.

I did Lite'n'Easy a few years ago. It was great at the time. I lost weight. It suited me perfectly. But it wasn't until I read the ingredient list full of preservatives and saw that the used by date was for about 3 years away, that I decided that I didn't want to put gods knows what prepared by god knows who into my body!!

Fresh is best. Effort is good. The results speak for the themselves.

Cheers
MiniMe
Old 25-03-2007, 09:45
Feeling more at home

Default MiniMe's Diary

Being told can't - my immediate response is 'I can and I will' (always had a rebellious streak) 'Don't' on the other hand means to me that I have thought about it and I have decided not to do it. The responsibility of self!!

i would have to say this has been my whole problem since my first memory of food. Like you, cookies, dessert, McD and the like were treats that were few and far in between.

I can remember though from when I was about 3 or 4, my mother had the chocolate chip cookies up in a high place in the laundry room (it was next to the kitchen). She told me I could have 2. That made me defiant and when she wasn't looking I managed to climb up on the washing machine and stole a few more that I hid under the couch cushions.

I find that to be a pivotal moment in my life as to how I could "harmlessly" rebel against rules, find comfort in food, and become somewhat of a closet eater. This progressed into making frosting and cookie dough in the bathroom and hiding it in there as a teen, and even more recently, hiding cookies or cookie dough or some other nonsensical dessert from my husband so he wouldn't know what I was eating.

This all sounds so weird, I started going to a shrink last year to try to determine why I do this - but you all know the answer - emotional eater/stress eater/bored eater/rebellious eater.

My fear is that I'm never going to get over that desire to eat sugary foods when the emotional side takes over. Even today, I'm thinking about that stuff....You can know how bad it is intellectually, but I don't know that I can be 100% converted even after I've had success - otherwise, I wouldn't be in this predicament having lost 30 pounds over 10 years ago and kept it off for several years.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Old 25-03-2007, 10:16
Forum Grease Monkey

My NYF Diary
Default MiniMe's Diary

My vice was potato chips. A tube of Pringles or a large bag of Lays would be consumed within a couple of mins. Sometimes 2 a day on weekends. Just love them.

The wife bought herself a small bag yesterday and I got the urge. Instead of stealing them from her, I grabbed an Apple. You know what, the apple tasted a lot better than chips ever have. Straight from the fridge and a hard granny smith. The texture, crispness and juice all made for an explosive sensation that pringles never gave me.

I think we need to realise that fresh foods, even the simple apple, really is tastier, in a natural way, than any manufactured foods. I'm not sure if this is my tastebuds changing or just my general outlook on life. Next time you get the urge for something sweet, grab and apple or mango from the fridge instead. It has the sweetness and it's better for you. I'm sure if you are going to deviate, Santa would prefer you deviate with an extra approved fruit than a block of chocolate.
Old 25-03-2007, 13:03
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

To anyone that is wondering why I have pulled this entry..... I'm not comfortable having that out there anymore!!!!
Old 26-03-2007, 18:28
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

Aaaaaaaaargh!! I had my first deviation today!! It wasn't a bad one though. I got stuck out at a shopping centre with 2 work colleagues and there was no way to avoid having to buy something from the food court. It was already past 2 o'clock by the time we were finished looking in the stores and I was so hungry I thought I was going to pass out.

Thankfully I found a food outlet that sold salady stuff. I ended up with a Greek Salad that had fetta, cucumber, tomato, red and green capsicum, black olives and a bit of onion. No dressing. Left out the red capsicum and black olives, only ate a small bit of the tomato estimating about a half a one and ate the rest. Portions would have been a bit out of whack, but still no foods that I shouldn't have eaten, so I don't feel too bad. Haven't felt hungry since eating so I don't think that I was too far off...??

My first real hurdle of not being able to prepare and weigh my meals. All up I'm quite happy with my decision. Wasn't tempted by any of the other foods on offer either. So I think I'm doing ok!!

MiniMe
Old 27-03-2007, 18:47
On my way - To a new me.

Default MiniMe's Diary

All good today. Work has gone from being full on stress fest to being really slow and boring. Would be nice to find some balance...

I weighed this morning on my new digital scales that I bought on the weekend and I've lost a total of 15kgs.

I am so glad I made the decision to do this program. It's so good

Tags
diary , minime