New You Forums

Go Back   New You Forums > New You Forum Diary Boards > Completed Diaries > Completed Personal Diaries

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 22:21
I am the new me!

Smile Janine's Diary

After fumbling around the forum a bit I have decided to start a diary to share with other new starters. Here it is:

Janine’s Diary
I have had an annoying several kilos hanging around since I started having childen (2 sons who are 9 and 4.5 years). I have intermittently lost the weight through Weight Watchers and then regained it as soon as I lost my routine.
I weighed 55kg pre-9 year old and am now 69.2kg (or I was when I started Cohens). My goal weight is 57 – 60kg which seemed a bit low to me but after reading a few diaries, sounds more than feasible and maintainable. I feel like my goal is so small compared to some others but I guess we all just want to be comfortable and feel at our best. My key goal is to reach a maintainable weight and not fluctuate as I have done for so many years. Then my clothes might fit me from one year to the next!
Recently I decided to try to lose weight nice and slowly and sensibly by making permanent habit changes. This is what I did over a couple of weeks:
- Cut out butter.
- Cut out lattes.
- Cut out chocolate.
- Introduced 4 alcohol free days per week with just a glass of wine on the other nights.
- Had homemade soup for lunch most days.
- Increased my exercise to everyday and included 2 spin classes at the gym.
After 5 weeks I had gained 200g! I was devastated. That was when I followed up a reference that I had been given to the Cohen’s programme. The edge of blood analysis of hormones attracted me as I hope it will make a permanent difference to my metabolism.
I was apprehensive about the cost but have decided that not eating out for the period of time will make up for it. I am a bit of a cafe addict for breakfasts although I usually stick to healthy scrambled eggs and mushrooms.
Having decided to take up the programme, I got the blood test done and was quite frustrated waiting to get the results. I just wanted to get into it. Also, I didn’t know a lot about the content of the progamme other than what was in the introductory pack that I was sent. I was itching to know what I would be able to eat. I didn’t like the secrecy as I needed to mentally prepare myself. Finding this forum is a fantastic help.
Finally I got started on 29/5/08 and here is my progress so far:
Day 1 – I was very prepared with food. I got a headache from mid morning and it went all day. I was definitely counting down between each meal.
Day 2 – 1.4kg lost on the first day! That was good, although a little scary. My headache continued but finally eased up in the evening. Still counting between meals and feeling light headed at times. I find that it takes me quite a while to pick up after I eat. I felt so bad when I got home from work that I laid on the lounge for 2 hours after dinner and felt dreadful.
Day 3 – 1.8kg down! Good not to have a headache but still hungry between meals, especially after meals and feeling a bit light headed at times. Signs of things getting better though.
Day 4 – 2.4kg down! However, I woke up at 4am very hungry. I have had lots of trouble sleeping in the past and have just got off 18 months of sleeping tablets by having acupuncture and chinese herbs. I had to reluctantly take half a sleeping tablet and indulge in two cubes of honeydew melon from my daily allowance. Luckily I could see the weight loss because it was a hard day. A friend prepared a magnificent gourmet lunch for a group of us. I took my chicken salad and ate that at 1.00. They all drank and then ate at 3.00! I entertained the children while they ate. We returned home in time to greet my husband’s aunt and uncle who were in town. My husband cooked them my favourite meal. I ate my chicken and vegetables. At this point I don’t care what I am eating as long as it has protein and is sustaining! What a day.
Day 5 – 3kg down! Woke up at 4am hungry again. Now I feel like the sleeping tablets are going to become a habit again but nothing is going to stand in the way of me successfully finishing this diet. I feel OK but hungry at times. Post meal seems to be my worst time. In the morning it was like wading through quick sand to get to work but I picked up.
Day 6 – 3.4kg down! I woke up at 1.30am this morning – it is getting worse and I am still hungry. More sleeping tablets but I have given in on them now and was back to sleep in no time. I am feeling OK. Still hungry in the morning but I get better towards the middle of the day. I feel quite good even though I have another headache. I can’t believe that I am so disinterested in what I am eating and that I eat it so slowly!
Day 7 - The feel good hormones have definitely set in. I felt great for most of today. I was hardly hungry this morning. Unfortunately I stuffed up later in the day. I was very busy at work all day and rushed out the door at 4pm to attend my 4.5 year old son’s day care afternoon tea. I forgot to take my 4.30 Vita Wheat snack with me and had to endure the sights and smells of lots of lovely food. It wouldn’t have bothered me at this point if I had had my snacks. Then by the time I had picked up both children and visited the supermarket, I was wrecked when I got home. My husband is away and I had to prepare the children’s dinner before I could attend to my own starvation. 3 hours later I have nearly recovered. There isn’t much margin on Cohens for running yourself down. Lesson learnt – always have your snacks and food with you!
There we go. That’s my life over the last few days. I hope it helps some other new starters. A week into it, things are looking good. I feel good. I have lost lots of weight. I know that I can do it. I know that if I feel yucky I will get through it. This forum helps heaps! Thanks everyone!

Initial Plan from 29/5/08 at 69.2kg to 3/7/08 at 59.3 kg (5 weeks), Refeed from 4/7/08 at 59.1kg to 21/7/08 at 58.6kg (18 days)
Lost 10.6kg and 33.5cm in 8 weeks!

Lowered goal weight to 57.6kg from 24/8/08 - 19/9/09
Total lost is 12.4kg and 41cm
Old 04-06-2008, 22:29
Sum

Wow Janine!!

Welcome to the forum and by the looks of it you'll be done in a few weeks

Your doing great so far and it does get easier!!

Stick with it

Sum
Old 04-06-2008, 22:59
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

Welcome, Janine. Your first week has been a bit tough. I think you'll find that you won't need the sleeping pills fairly soon. Tuti had only a small amount to lose like you; you might like to check out her diary and photos. She's not long finished. Your losses to date are looking good.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 05-06-2008, 07:12
Dedicated New You Forum Nut

Hi Janine and welcome

You look like you are well and truly on your way, well done !!
You will be at goal in no time !! Congrats on making the cohens decision !

Stoddy

Started 04/04/08
Goals 80kg DONE 04/05/08 .. 78kg 1/3 way DONE 16/05/08 .. 73kg half way DONE 12/06/08
in 60's DONE 05/07/08.. 68.6kg 2/3 way DONE 12/07/08.. 66kg 3/4 way - normal BMI ..
DONE
Started refeed 9th October at 60.7 kilos - 16 day program
Old 05-06-2008, 07:23
Part of the Furniture

congrats on choosing cohens and losing loads all ready.
i bet you will not be here for very long at all.
i have a 9 year old (almost 10!) and a 4 year old, too!

welcome and hope to chat with you more-
bitten

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift! that is why it is called 'the present'.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:05
I am the new me!

Default Thanks everyone

I can also report no cravings, no low blood sugar (yah) and my blood pressure is coming down (wow).

Bitten, your photo caught my eye with your little girl. Very cute.

Initial Plan from 29/5/08 at 69.2kg to 3/7/08 at 59.3 kg (5 weeks), Refeed from 4/7/08 at 59.1kg to 21/7/08 at 58.6kg (18 days)

Old 05-06-2008, 09:26
On my way - To a new me.

Wow, those are very quick and pleasing results, including blood sugar and blood pressure. I think you're going to set a record for getting to goal in the shortest time!
Old 05-06-2008, 15:21
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I think the improvement to our health is the best outcome from this diet, Janine. It's even better than the new look we'll have.

AJ
What else do I do? I help people make money and I help people save money. Please take a look at http://www.acnlinks.clancie.com.au/
Back again for the support. Still think the diet and the forum are the best ever, but too old to do it again. Now losing again slowly on maintenance diet. Ticker shows next intermediate goal only (5 kilos).

Old 05-06-2008, 21:18
I am the new me!

Default Feeling good

I think you are right Annabelle. My uppermost thought at the moment is how good I feel. I am not thinking much about the weight loss at all.

Day 8 was the best that I have felt so far which much less hunger. I even survived a 6-7pm appointment by having a few of my vegies beforehand and then the rest of the meal when I got home. I wasn't starving.

Old 05-06-2008, 23:23
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

Sounds like you're almost through the tough bit, Janine. It's difficult to believe that you won't be hungry with the small hours and five hours between, but it happens.

AJ

Old 06-06-2008, 20:55
I am the new me!

Default Hunger

I'm having a few more not hungry moments. So I can see how it gets better.

Annabelle, how are you feeling about how far you have come and what's ahead to achieve your goal?

Old 06-06-2008, 21:50
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I had hoped I would be further along, Janine. However, I've accepted that my age and my sedentary lifestyle are against me. I had a bad week last week where I kept having thoughts of giving up, wishing I could go out and order off the menu, etc. (along with several others) but this week I'm okay again. I sort of think that if I can't stick to the diet and finish it I wouldn't be able to stay at the weight I'm at either. I'm determined that I will finish, no matter how long it takes. My husband comments every few days now on how different I'm looking. I do wonder how I'll look when I have lost almost as much again, but when I do the 'pinch test' I can still find plenty to lose. I love the food. I'd like to be able to have a glass of wine occasionally, to be able to go out and eat and drink what others are having, and not to have to weigh everything and cook separate meals for my husband. I tell myself that it's taken me a lot of years to get to this, and I'm prepared to put my life on hold for as long as it takes to reach my goal.

AJ

Old 07-06-2008, 09:10
I am the new me!

Default Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever give up!

Hi Annabelle. A friend of mine who worked in the mental health industry had a great sign on her desk which said Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever give up! You are half way there and it is such a HUGE achievement.

If I ever have thoughts of giving up, I think about how I felt before. Now I am not just thinking about the weight and how my clothes didn't fit, but the fact that I feel so great now (who would have thought during my first week that I would be saying that!), my health is so good and I look and feel less bloated. I'm really appreciating how the type of food is suiting me. Last night I even had a great sleep without sleeping tablets and no hunger!

The trouble with this diet is that it brings around such quick and satisfying results that we get used to them and that brings around the lull. I can't speak from much duration but I think when trying to achieve any goal, there are flat spots after the intial glory.

This forum is the best thing out for having lots of friends to poke you and keep you going. There is nothing like realising that there are lots of other people going through the same thing out there.

I'm 42 and was doing a lot of exercise before this programme (which of course never shifted my weight). Now I can't exercise anyway because I just don't have the food/energy reserves to do it. So your sedentry lifestyle probably isn't a lot different to mine! This weekend I am thinking that I am up for some walking. That's a long way from doing cycling classes at the gym. But hey, we lose weight without the exercise anyway!

Have a whinge, but keep at it!

Last edited by janine; 31-08-2008 at 02:36.
Old 07-06-2008, 22:56
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I'm not one to give up on anything, Janine, although diets have been my one exception in the past. This time I will not give up. Others have said, and I have found it to be true, that the middle third is the most difficult part of the diet. For the first third you have the initial excitement and enthusiasm, for the last third the excitement of approaching the end, but the middle is just a hard slog. I've been so excited today to realise that I've only got a little over 16 kgs to go now. You probably won't experience the boredom though.

AJ

Old 08-06-2008, 13:44
I am the new me!

Default Good on you Annabelle

I hope you are feeling as good as I am - or is that just an initial influx of hormones that settles after a while??

I have just had 2 great, natural nights of sleep. I even fell asleep with a party going on next door and don't know when they finished.

My weight loss has slowed after 10 days which is to be expected, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to lose the rest.

I have not been hungry the last couple of days and nights which is great. Yesterday I even forgot one snack! Who would have thought?

My biggest fear is that I will put it back on and that this will be another diet that didn't work in the long term. I've been reading some of the other diaries (eg Faithy's) and I really hope that it all works out for them.

Last edited by janine; 31-08-2008 at 02:37.
Old 08-06-2008, 21:22
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

Everything you are experiencing is what most others experience, Janine.

Not putting the weight back on is as 'simple' as following the maintenance guidelines and not going back to eating as you did when you put it on in the first place. I suspect you may have an advantage over many others in that you don't have a lot to lose, and probably haven't damaged your hormones as much as some of us have.

AJ

Old 08-06-2008, 23:02
I am the new me!

Default Blood pressure

I just had a blood pressure reading of 122/80 - a far cry from 148/98!

Old 08-06-2008, 23:19
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

Isn't that the best feeling of all, Janine? Mine went from 138/88 to 120/78 and I still had a way to go. I'm hoping it will be even lower by the time I finish. My cholesterol has dropped from 5.8 to 4.4. I am happier about those readings than anything else that's happening.

AJ

Old 09-06-2008, 20:00
I am the new me!

Default Good side effects

I agree Annabelle. Weight loss has become a secondary thing because in 12 days I have ticked off every health problem that I have! I just hope it lasts afterwards.

Old 09-06-2008, 21:01
I think I've got it!!!

My NYF Diary

I hope it does too, Janine. However, if the problems come back, sticking to a mainly Cohen food diet should get rid of them again.

AJ

Tags
diary , janine